Monday, October 29, 2007

Wet Monday

I woke to rain this morning and new it was going to be an interesting morning since I had to feed the calves alone this morning(thanks Scott) :) I started mixing 6 bottles in the rain trying not to get the paper bag that the milk came in wet. I hurried the milk replacer bag to dry ground and went back to continue mixing the bottles. I loaded the bottles up on the golf cart and thought to myself not a bad start even if it is raining. I did a 360 on the golf cart and off fell the bottles with only 1 spilling 1/2 the contents. O.K maybe it wasn't gonna run as smoothly as I thought this morning. I ran to refill the bottle in record time and off slower this time but I'm off. I notice out of the left corner of my eye something is different. Hummmmmm. Why is there 1 large cow on the wrong side of the fence where we have the cows seperated and suppose to be all on the back 1/2 of the property. Do one of my neighbors have an escaped cow? Did one of Scott's pets break his fence? O.K what do I do first here? Should I run feed the calves I hear calling for bottles or make a run for the front gate with 6 bottles in tow and risk dropping them again. I risk it all and head to the front gate to shut it just in case the cow decides to escape. I race to the front gate in the golf cart praying the battery doesn't run out before I get back to the main yard. I get back to to the main yard park the golf cart that is just about to die on me and walked in the rain to my car. I'm now soaked. I jump in my car and run over to the golf cart put the bottles in my car and off to feed the little ones. All 6 wanted their bottle 1st of course. If they are 1st to finish their bottles they try to push the other calves away trying to break their suction so they can get to the unfinished bottle-Yikes what pigs(don't get any idea's Scott I'm drawing the line with calves :() When they finish their bottles if you don't hurry and get them they start butting the bottle and it falls in the pen with them. Guess who had to go in the pen and retrieve them. Yep me. Once in the pen they all start trying to suck on your arms, legs, clothes ect-cute but now I'm covered once again in cow slobber. Back in the car and going through the back field trying to find out which cow is on the other side. It's one of ours she must be kin to Hodinie. Not sure how she managed to get on the other side, didn't see any breaks in the fence but their is a small gap. Who knows anyway I decide to let all the cows come graze with her on the other side because they are all looking at me with sad eyes telling me the grass looks greener on the other side, Can you believe cows think that too-I thought it was only humans that think that. :<>
O.k back inside after my shower and thinking about my morning . If my girlfriends in Jacksonville could have seen me they would be on the floor rolling. They use to tell me I was gonna be a farm girl and my famous last words were they ain't no way...... Scott owes me big time. Did I metioned I want a massage chair from the Sharper Image :)
How is your day going?

6 comments:

Kayla Nicole said...

funny funny funny I love ya cowgirl!!!

gideonmommasita said...

Good post. The cardiologist told me today that I was probably out of shape...that's how my day wrapped up after doing homeschool by candelight after our area lost power for 3hrs.

CroppinRobin said...

Sherry,
What a morning...but it certainly made for a great post! I smiled while I was reading.....

Melissa said...

That is hilarious!!! I don't mean to laugh at your misfortune, but I have to admit, I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets a little frazzled!

Brother Eric said...

I knew it, I knew it! There are other people out there who get carried away to some strange and cruel place where nothing goes right. You are in good company. I will say something about the whole "farm girl" thing. It is not that bad, as long as you remember to wipe your feet:). Remember, a person who learns to laugh at themselves will never cease to be amused.

sanctuaryseeker said...

Hey Sherry,
Thank God for humor. I have been mullygrubbing around in a bad mood. And your story just lifted my spirits.
Love ya,
Michelle